Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Workplace Wellness

I am the chair person for the Community Outreach Committee at work. I volunteered to put together a group of people interested in getting out in the community to do good deeds as well as organizing these events. Over Christmas, I organized a day of ringing bells for the Salvation Army Red Kettle Program. I had a great response from co-workers and we rang bells for an entire day for the Salvation Army. I was pretty proud of my work peeps.

For the new year, we decided to focus on our own office community for our next "event". So, we set up a 90 Day Wellness Challenge. We invited our office mates to participate in a challenge to change bad habits and make healthy lifestyle changes. We ended up getting over a dozen people to sign up for the challenge.
Each Wednesday is Wellness Wednesday and the start of each challenge. Participants are sent a challenge via email by a Community Outreach Committee Member outlining the challenge for the week. The following Tuesday participants are sent an email asking if they completed the challenge. Responses are tracked and those who complete at least 85% of all challenges win a prize! Last week, our challenge was to cut soda intake in half....so far I am down to only 1 soda a day. This is big for me....My name is Nikki and I am a diet coke addict (everyone in chorus "Hi Nikki") 

This week, I am leading the weekly challenge. I am challenging the participants to add exercise into their weekly routine. I am actually leading activities throughout the week to help get people on the right track. Tomorrow, I booked a conference room and have invited all the participants to come and do office friendly exercises. I am hoping for a good turn out. More importantly, I am hoping for everyone to actually get something out of this whole challenge!

2 comments:

Diplo_Daddy said...

That sounds like a fantastic idea. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

that's awesome, yay for you!!! Keep inspiring!!