Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Decisions and Shout Outs

Last week Dave, the hubby, asked me if I had gotten more compliments after my spin class and I had. I had a couple of people tell me they really enjoyed my class and thought I was a good instructor. Dave said that maybe I had found my calling. I have been pondering that statement for about a week now and I realized that I absolutely love teaching spin class. I workout on a regular basis because I like to, not because I want a smaller jean size....although a smaller jean size would be cool it is not my motivation.

Jackie Joyner Kersee is my idol. Sports Illustrated named her the Greatest Female Athlete of All Time. She competed in her last Olympic trials at 38 years old. She won several gold medals in the heptathlon in her very long career, she could do it all. She could run, jump, and throw better than anybody in the world. She was passionate about her sport. So....what am I passionate about?

My big picture goals in life are to be a good mother, a good wife, and a good person. My smaller picture goals are to complete a couple marathons and triathlons this year. All in all, I've got some good goals lined up for myself. Now...what about resolutions...what do I specifically want to work on this year? This year, for my new years resolution, I want to combine my goals and my passion. I am passionate about health and fitness and I love my family. I want to mesh those two things more. I want to focus more on my family's nutrition and making sure we are eating well and doing things that fuel our hearts and our minds. I want to be a better wife by doing things with just my husband, more date nights and enlisting him as a training partner not just someone to watch the kids while I go for a run. I want to be a good person by doing events that are supporting a greater good not just a company. As for myself, I want to kick this health and fitness thing up a notch. After I get the Visa paid off from the Christmas Extravaganza, I am going to get certified to be a personal trainer. I love teaching spin, I love cheering people on and motivating them to be healthy, I love being involved with the YMCA. Maybe I can slowly transition those loves into a career. I don't want to put my hubby is a position where he is the only financial provider for the family while I run about chasing dreams so I will take this next step slowly, with regard to his feelings and needs as well as the financial needs of our family.


Here is Maggie: 
I want to give a shout out to my dog. Maggie...actually Maggie May, and yes..after the Rod Stewart song. We got her from the Humane Society 6 years ago when she was super tiny. She has been a great dog, great with kids, and a total lover. We're not sure what type of dog she is though...but it doesn't matter, we love her anyways!

3 comments:

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

I love Maggie!!

Great resolutions...good luck with your certification. What organization are you going through?

Nikki Kendall said...

I am going to go through ACE, they are about half the cost and so far the gyms in the area all accept that certification.

Amy Olson said...

Nikki - Super cool you want to make your passion your career! Good luck with the certification, and it's awesome Dave is supportive of you. I still hope to come to a spin class soon.