Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Shooting at my High School.

I graduated from Millard South High School in 1997 with fellow blogger Jess. We ran track together and have many fond memories of our high school.

 Yesterday, 17 year old Robert Butler Jr. got suspended for driving his car on to the football field and trashing the field. Once suspended Robert left the school, he returned at lunchtime with a gun. Robert Butler Jr. shot the Principal and Vice Principal and fled the scene. He was found 40 minutes later, in his car, where he had shot himself.  Late last night, the Vice Principal died from her injuries.
Honestly, I never in a million years would have imagined that something like this  happening in Millard. Now we are hearing everything from blaming the parents, blaming the school, blaming facebook, blaming violent video games....blame..blame...blame. Finger pointing at everyone else. Instead of pointing fingers at everyone else, maybe it is a time to take a look at ourselves and figure out what we are doing to help make the world a good place. Every single person has the power to make the world a better place. First and foremost....be nice. It is a simple idea...just be nice. Stop yelling at people who cut you off in traffic, maybe they honestly didn't see you or maybe a loved one just got rushed to the hospital and they are trying to make it there. Stop getting bent out of shape when a telemarketer calls...they are just doing their jobs, paying taxes, and keeping their family off welfare. Stop complaining about what you don't have and be thankful for what you do have. Hug your kids, when you love someone tell them, and when tragedy strikes...stop thinking about who's fault it is and think about how you can help.

5 comments:

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

It was surreal wasn't it. Never did I think this could happen at MSHS.

I posted similiar thoughts too.

Stacie said...

I'm a new follower. I found you through Jess. I just wanted to say I'm sorry for what happened at your school. The world is a crazy place. So sad.

Nikki Kendall said...

Hi Stacie...nice to meet you !

Pepe Le Pew said...

There is someone to blame; the shooter. He chose to do what he did and people need to put the blame on the head of the responsible party.

If you really want to help, teach your kids that they are responsible for their own actions. If they are going to trash a football field they are going to get in trouble. Don't blame the authorities for kicking you out of school, blame yourself for getting kicked out of school.

Nikki Kendall said...

In my opinion, I think there is a difference between taking responsibility and placing blame. I just think that blaming is a deflection of responsibility. I agree with you Pepe, people need to take responsibility for thier own actions and I feel that everyone, including myself, could use a reminder to be nice once in a while.