Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Double Accountability

In 2011 I get the honor of being a mentor for TEAM In Training. I am going to help out the coaches for the TEAM train people to run theirr first half or full marathon. I am super excited and very honored. In 2011 I plan on running a half marathon in Lincoln NE on May 2, 2011 and then a full marathon in San Francisco CA in October 2011 both with the TEAM and proudly wearing my purple jersey. But 2011 holds a couple other goals for me as well. I want to do a sprint triathlon in May 2011 and then my very first Olympic triathlon in July 2011....all on my own. I did my very first sprint triathlon this past summer and loved it....in  hindsight. It was crazy; people everywhere, lifeguards saving people during the swim, chaos at the transition points, I didn't know if I could finish, and when I crossed the finish line I knew instantly I wanted to do another!

So, my TEAM coach sent out our training schedules for the Lincoln race. I have modified it to account for the bike and swim training I will need since the triathlon comes after the half marathon. I teach a spin class once a week at our local YMCA so that part was covered. I just have to force myself to swim in the mornings during the freezing Nebraska winters. Very hard to force yourself into a cold pool when it's a 50 below wind chill outside. BUT....it's good cross training for a marathon, so I have accountability. Today I found out I have double accountability.

The YMCA that I work at is having a contest between the Omaha branches and the internal departments. They are calling it  the "Practice What You Preach" contest. YMCA employees write their name on a big board displayed in the Y and then fill in each work out that is completed at the Y. Each branch is competing to see who's employees "practice what they preach" by working out 3-4 times a week at the Y. Within our own Branch of the Y, the winning team or department will be the determined based on the average number of workouts per person. So for example if Aquatics has 4 people and one person has 20 workouts, one has 9 workouts and one has 6 workouts their average is 11 workouts. The department with the highest average wins lunch from the losing department.

I love it!! Motivation, accountability, and meeting goals. What a great way to start 2011!!

6 comments:

Pepe Le Pew said...

It's hard to do anything without having a goal. Motivation is the key. Now you can look forward to winning the contest, preparing for the triathlon, being generally healthy and have a smoking body. Those are pretty good goals.

Nikki Kendall said...

I agree with you Pepe! Motivation is the key. All in all my big picture goal.....when I grow up...I wanna be a MILF !!

Pepe Le Pew said...

You can check that goal off your list!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

You go Nikki!! A mentor for TNT?!! Wow!!

Thanks for your input on my blog...I think the fishy one is funny too!:)

A Prelude To... said...

Hi! I just found your blog through Jess.
I'm a TNT lover, too!! Have a great 2011!!! and have fun with the mentoring!

Nikki Kendall said...

HI Julie...Nice to meet you!