Thursday, November 18, 2010

The beginner barefooter



So after much consideration....I am decided to try some barefoot exercises and work my way up to barefoot running. I have been dealing with plantar fasciitis and am in the process of getting custom orthodics made. As I do my research about dealing with plantar fasciitis I consistently keep coming across info on bare foot running. I have a friend who is a bare foot marathon runner, doing all his races in vibrams. He started bare foot running after dealing with plantar fasciitis for 18 months and using custom orthodics. He reports being pain free and is a running maniac. So...I'll give it a whirl.

http://www.barefootted.com/index.php?q=/2010/04/so-you-wanna-start-running-barefoot.html

Today I hit the elliptical for 25 minutes and then took off my shoes. I jumped from side to side over a gym towel and then forwards and backwards over the towel. I then hopped on a bosu ball an did some squats...barefoot. Everything I read also says to start slow, so I left it at that. I ordered a pair of vibram five fingers and then should be here soon. My goal is to strengthen my feet pre- TEAM season so I have a smooth 2011 running year.

2 comments:

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

You'll have to keep us posted on your finings! I think Bobby Love is already a bare-foot runner. You should pick his brain!

Unknown said...

Great plan. I look forward to following you as you figure it out. PF and barefoot running scare me equally!