Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Why I am MOM ON A MISSION:

 The vast majority of you know that in October 2009, Dave and I lost our youngest son to a “mystery diagnosis.” Eric was only 15 months old. Before Eric, I did not know the special heartache involved in caring for a loved one who was ill. I know that heartache now and know that I am compelled to act. While there are no organizations raising community awareness and research dollars for “mystery diagnosis” treatments, I have come to realize that Eric underwent treatments very similar to those treatments that kiddos who are fighting cancer go through: chemotherapy, immune suppressive therapy and bone marrow transplants. I found the Leukemia and Lymphoma’s Society TEAM In Training and decided to take action. In October 2010, I ran my first marathon in Des Moines Iowa while proudly wear Eric’s name on my bib.

 Through Team in Training, I train to run marathons in Eric’s memory. I log numerous miles and spend countless hours hitting the trails or cruising on a treadmill. It can get tedious and lonely. But I am never alone. I run with many people in my heart. I run with Wes and Dave always in my thoughts, but there are several others that frequently come to my mind. I run with Dr. Ted Denson, GI; Dr. Stella Davies, BMT; Dr. Hector Wong, PICU; Dr. Jack Bleesing, Immunology; Anna Lee, nurse; and my other teammates who run in honor of their loved ones. Most importantly...I run with Eric.

I am training to run the Nike Women's full marathon this October. I need your support.
Please go to my training page and make a donation.




With Deepest Gratitude,

Nikki Kendall



11 comments:

Unknown said...

You are making me cry! I just can't even imagine the heartache. What a wonderful way to make tribute to Eric's life by running for him and to know he is always with you. Beautiful post and I'm so glad you shared with us. I'll definitely check out your page! Good luck and you are amazing!!!

Nikki Kendall said...

Thank you Rochelle and thank you for going to my page!

Happy Frog and I said...

I think it is absolutely brilliant what you are doing and why you are doing it. I am fully supporting and hope that you don't mind I have made an anonymous donation. Best of luck with it. x

Nikki Kendall said...

Thank you Ms. Froggy, I apprecaite your support and am humbled by your generosity.

Seeking Boston Marathon said...

Powerful story. I ran with TNT last year at Boston and it was more rewarding than the race itself. Keep running and raising!

Nikki Kendall said...

WOW! Team AND Boston! You rock my friend!

Olga said...

I really admire you for your courage. I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish you good luck on your marathon. You're doing the right thing that's important to many people.

Nikki Kendall said...

Thank you Olga!

H Love said...

You are a strong, beautiful mama! There is nothing more motivating that a mothers love for her child!!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Nikki you are such an amazing mom and living out Eric's spirit each time you lace up your shoes. You inpire.

I plan to make a donation to your October mary.

Nikki Kendall said...

@ H Love: Thank you!! You too Momma!

@ Jess: Thank you so very much for your support and your donation!